Sunday, July 15, 2012

How to Start

BASIC TIPS FOR:


I get A LOT of questions of how to start eating healthy. How to switch your lifestyle and incorporate better habits. Of course there are many levels of healthy eating, simple to extreme. I have become more and more extreme over the years (according to the hubby!). 
But there's always a place to start, and things to do, if you don't want it to take over your life. :)

1) Extremely limit or throw out White Sugar and White Flour. They are extremely processed and have no health benefits besides bulking up the thighs. :) and making you want more. I have to admit -this is hard! It takes a while to really get your body used to being off and not craving this stuff. Check out my treat section for more options.

2) Replace the Sugar with natural Sugar Alternatives or sweet fruit (it gets sweeter the longer you are off sugar) and the Flour with whole wheat flour, or even better, try bean flours, oat flour, or spelt flour is my favorite right now. You can usually replace a 1:1 ratio. Sometimes I lessen the sugars to make sure I don't over sweeten it.

3) Add more whole grains. Try replacing white pasta with whole grain pasta. Barilla is a great option. For even better options, (which can be pricey), try spelt noodles, buckwheat noodles (for stir frys or soup), quinoa noodles. Use brown rice or quinoa, instead of white rice.

4) LIMIT or eliminate PROCESSED FOOD: SODA (that is my number one things everyone should be off!), Crackers, granola bars, chips, fruit snacks, boxed meals, even meat! etc. Just eliminating these things alone will make you healthier.

5) Try limiting your dairy. By adding Green Smoothies and more veggies to your diet, you DO NOT have to worry about loss of calcium! Dairy is hard on your stomach and really not that great for you! I drink almond milk and eat greek yogurt (sometimes) and kefir. Sometimes I have feta cheese. You decide the right amount for you.

6) Try cutting out oils and eating more nuts, nut butters, avocado's. And LITTLE amounts of Coconut Oil.

7) If you aim for a pound of raw vegetables (green smoothies count) and a pound of cooked vegetables in a day - you will be off to a great start and healthier lifestyle! Make a big batch of soups for lunch and try to add a salad to dinner every night.

For ideas of how to get started check out my Recipes.
I follow a guideline of always trying to eat healthy inside of my home,
when we go out, I make the best choice I can make, but don't stress about it. Have fun!

Please ask if you have questions! :)

There is a print button on each post for your convenience. :)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...