Sunday, September 11, 2011

What's That?? ... Secret Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pie!!

I HATE when people ask me to bring a dessert. I feel all this anxiety rise inside as I get excited to try something new, but DO NOT want the leftovers or mid way taste tests in my kitchen! Argh! 
When its in my face I WILL eat it, so I just try to never have that stuff in my house. 
Therefore - I am always on the look out for that perfect dessert I can bring, that tastes amazing, but really isn't all that bad for you. I think I have found it!!! YAY!! Introduce 
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pie! 
But until we get to that. Let's talk about our secret ingredient:

CHICKPEAS
(Also called Garbanzo Beans)


Yep - that's the ingredient.
  This recipe reminded me of the days I used to throw these into chocolate chip cookies. You really couldn't tell, but the texture did get slightly weird some times. :)

Health Benefits
Chickpeas can help fight coronary heard disease. They are packed with fiber! About 12.5 g per cup!! That helps curb overeating (by filling you up) and slows absorption of sugar. (great to add to a dessert right? :)) THey are an extremely low fat, complete protein food!

Where to get them?
You can buy them canned or dry.  I usually buy them canned to save time. But if you have time to cook the beans from dry they will taste better and you can even store them in the freezer till you need them. I love it when I do this!


How to use them?
You can throw them on your salads, make your own Hummus, or change it up with these recipes below.


For Dinner the other night we made-
Moroccan Spaghetti Squash (So fast and easy!)

1 Large Spaghetti Squash
1/4 C Cooked Chickpeas
1-2 Tbl water
2 Garlic Cloves
1 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
1/8 tsp Cayenne
3/4 tsp Salt
Handful of Chopped Cilantro or Parsley

1) Cook Squash. Pierce all over with knife. Put in a dish and place in microwave. Cook about 8 minutes. You know it's done when you can easily pierce a knife through the skin. 
2) Place Chickpeas and Water in food processor. Process until smooth. (you can add a little olive oil or butter to make it creamier if you desire) Add the rest of the ingredients and process into a sauce.
3) Cut squash in half and scoop out middle with the seeds. Use a fork to scrape all the noodle like middle. Mix with a little sauce, so me Chickpeas, and fresh green beans. YUM!!

Here is the star of the show:
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pie! 
(Gluten Free and almost fat free!)
Really - you will be shocked. 
No Flour, only 3 Tbl of Oil in the whole thing! And it is moist as ever. 

picture borrowed from chocolate covered katie

You can get the recipe HERE. 
The only think I changed, is I used a cup of sugar instead of 1 1/2. But you choose. 
And yes  - thats a lot of sugar, I hate sugar! My ideal would be able to re-create this using a sugar substitute of some kind, but when serving to 'others' who are not of my ways (as my hubby would say) I have to draw the line somewhere. :)

ENJOY
Let me know what you think!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...