Saturday, July 31, 2010

My New Favorite Breakfast

Hopefully good old pumpkin oat isn't offended, but there is something about the heat that has made me desire a yummy, cool breakfast. So I took off to try Muesli. I have had it before, but never really got it all right. Now I am in love! It is full of fiber, whole grains, anti-oxidants, and very low cal. And it totally keeps me full! I love it! I make a big batch and store in my fridge to keep from anything going rancid or losing its nutritional value.
I seriously am excited to eat it in when I wake up!

MUESLI
Ingredients: (this recipe has exact measurements, but you can fudge a little here and there)
3/4 C Rye Flakes (I found these flakes in the bulk section of my health food store)
3/4 C Barley Flakes
1 C Oats
1 1/2 C Toasted Wheat Flakes (toasted is optional)
3/4 C Almonds (or any nut you like)
3/4 C Hazelnuts (once again, any nut you like)
3/4 C Sunflower Seeds
3/4 C Pumpkin Seeds
1/2 C Cranberries or Raisins
3/4 C Apricots Chopped
1 C Dates (chopped)

Combine all ingredients, except Dates- (I throw mine in a zip lock and shake). Then add Dates. They are sticky and stick to everything, so close the bag and use your fingers to spread out and into pieces, coating small pieces with the oats mixture.
I like to eat this cold, although some people cook it. You can soak over night in Juice or milk (in the fridge), but I just pour milk on top in the morning, let it sit for 5 minutes or so and enjoy!
NOTE: If its too bland, you can add a little Honey or Agave. But I love it the way it is. :)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...