Monday, April 26, 2010

Healthified Banana Bread

I LOVE to bake, but changing it up to make it better for me is even more of a passion. So when I found this recipe with some interesting suggestions (ie. cream cheese for butter! - such an amazing idea!) I was pretty excited to try it out!
I have to say it was slightly dry. I may add some applesauce or more bananas next time. And I think some chopped walnuts would be divine. mmmmm....
Hubbys score: 3.5 stars
My score: 3.5 stars
Three year old: "YUM"
Vegetable Oil ( I used canola oil)
4 large ripe bananas
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 C all purpose flour (I used white whole wheat)
1/2 C sugar
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tbl. canola oil
2 oz. fat-free cream cheese, cut into 4 pieces and chilled
1 - heat oven to 325. Lightly coat 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan with oil.
2- Bake the bananas on a rimmed cookie sheet. until skins are completely black. (about 20 min) let cool. Then peel and mash.
3- Whisk eggs and vanilla together in small bowl, set aside. In large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together. Add the oil and cream cheese, 1 piece at a time. Mix until only pea-size pieces of the cream cheese remain, about 1 minute. Slowly beat in egg mixture, and only 1 1/2 cups of the mashed bananas (I might add more next time) and beat until just incorporated, (about 30 seconds).
4- scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake until golden brown and toothpick comes out clean. (50 - 60 minutes). Rotate the pan halfway through!
5- Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 min. and then turn onto rack and let cool 1 hour before serving. (VERY DIFFICULT!) The bread can be wrapped tightly with plastic wrap and stored at room temp. for 3 days.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...